Monday, May 1, 2006

the little buggers

Sometimes owning your own home can be a lot of work. Take yard work, for example. I really don't enjoy yard work. Mainly, I think, it is because I'm allergic to a lot of things... including my own grass! I learned today that it is called Tall Fescew. Great. I call it the itch-monster. OMG. As soon as I cut the grass I have to go take a shower and then I still itch for 2 days. :( Yuck. I really do need to find a lawn-boy... ha.

Ok, so I was cutting the grass a few days ago, when I notices that there were all these awful little wooly-worm looking bugs on my pin oak tree!! OMG. I also have some tent-woms on my weeping cherry. :( So, I called a couple tree guys to come give me estimates. I also want(ed) someone to trim a couple of the branches off the one pin oak becaus they hang very, very low and it is hard for me to mow under them. SO. the first guy comes out... wants $150 to spray all my trees/shrubs and they have a $250 minimum charge to trim trees. Oh joy. The 2nd guy comes out and says they'll charge $90 to spray, the front trees and bushes but not the back evergreens. Why? Well, apparently, the evergreens have some boaring bugs and it requires some other type of application to get rid of them. That will be $70 in June and $70 in July. Oh, and on top of it, to trim ONE tree will cost $280 but to do both trees will only be $350. Can you say Cha-Ching?

I do have to have one of them do the spraying. I have one more guy coming to give me an estimate. Let's see what he says.

1 comment:

  1. we have a massive old cypress in front of our house... it actually hangs over our garden, but it belongs to the city... however, they don't maintain it but every 5 years! that damn tree has cost us a fortune!

    ReplyDelete