Thursday, June 15, 2006

Adopting alone

So, I asked the question to another single-adopting-momma-blogger why she chose to adopt and to adopt alone... so, I thought I'd answer my own question.

I decided to adopt for several reasons. First and foremost, I want to have a family. I'm in my 30's now and ain't gettin' any younger! What to do, what to do?

So, since I'm single I thought through my options... birthing** a baby alone just didn't seem like the right answer. I know, I could try the procedures... or I could try to find someone to have a baby with. But, no. Then there is adoption. Since I'm single, adopting here in the States is a little tougher (if you want a baby). It could take years. And, maybe someday I will go through the homestudy process for my area and either foster or try to adopt a 2nd child that way, but for now, it just didn't seem like it fit me either.

Then there is international adoption. Some of the countries won't allow singles to adopt. Some won't let singles adopt babies. Others are cost prohibitive. Yet others have long trips (or undefined amount of time to their trips). Narrowing down the field... brought me to China. :) It does take quite awhile to get through the process for China, even. I started Jan 2005 and am now waiting for my referral. I won't likely bring my daughter home until the end of this year or beginning of next. I'm ok with that... but the wait is hard sometimes.

**Do you all say you are 'having' a child (when adopting)? I realize that most people use the word 'having' to mean they are bearing a child... But I will be having her... in my life... more of a currently active use of the word, I think. But that's just me. I'm weird like that.

So, I, currently, run and quilt (sew) to keep myself busy. I also hang out with my family and friends a lot. Sometimes I shop. :) Last week, I made 7 purses. I know... I didn't post pics. I will next time. :) My goal is 5 purses this week. Maybe more. I was supposed to run a marathon last weekend, but was sick. My running won't be as fun this summer 'cause of the heat and less racing, but I am hoping it prepares me well for the fall. :)

Ok, enough rambling...

Feel free to write and share why you decided to adopt alone... and from where. I'd love to hear your stories.

2 comments:

  1. What an honest post... you are going to be a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kristin!! (i love your blog, btw!!) :)

    ReplyDelete