Friday, June 9, 2006

Adoption picnic

So, I went to a picnic that was being held by my Homestudy agency on Sunday. It was pretty nice. I got to talk to a family that I met while getting fingerprinted last August. That was a treat! I wasn't expecting to see them there. They had 2 daughters (adopted from China) when we met in August. They were in the process of deciding if they were going to adopt a third baby girl from China or from Guatemala. Apparently, the chose to adopt from China again! She is a beautiful little girl! They named her Mia, which is one of the names I've been considering. The mom said she gets called Maya, though... something to consider.

It was more fun than I thought it might be. I was a bit nervous about talking to families, especially since I haven't gotten my referral or traveled yet. (I wonder if other people feel the same way... or if anyone else would even go to such a picnic!) Everyone was so nice, though. Some folks were going back for their 2nd or 3rd child and were waiting, like me. That was great to hear/see.

3 comments:

  1. I started a single mom's group through my local FCC last year when i was paperchasing. I definitely had moments of being uncomfortable that i didn't have a child yet. I felt a lot like I was just "pretending". Eventually I got to know the girls and it was fun, but there were times when it was pretty yucky for me. But I think its good to get out there and meet folks, because after your little one comes home, you will want those connections. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon, that's precisely why I went! :) Thanks for sharing your experience with me. I know I should go to more of these type of meetings and such. And, perhaps, I will over the next few months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like it was fun and informative to meet other people who are going through or already have gone through the adoption process. I will be following your journey.

    ReplyDelete