Friday, June 16, 2006

Freaking again

Ok. Well, I just sat down and looked at my finances *again*... Ugh.

Do you all freak out about money? How you are going to pay for your adoptions? I've paid almost $8,000 so far, but I still have approx $12,000 to come up with! Yikes. That seems alittle high, but since it isn't an exact number from my agency, I've taken their highest estimates. That doesn't include any extra for when I get home, just in case I need it. That's not good. (I would feel better with a 2-3K cushion, but have no idea if I can do 12K, let alone that much!) Right now, gulp, I'm not even half way where I need to be for the 12K, let alone any buffer!!! OMG. And I realize that I need to be thankful (sorry) that I am not going to China right now... 'cause that could have happened (7.5 mo since LID). Not that I wouldn't hop on a plane right now if they called... but finance-wise, I'm so not ready. :(

For what it's worth, I've been making purses (as some of you might remember) and things to sell. They haven't really sold online much, but my sister has been an angel and gotten friends to buy them! She's such the little saleswoman! :D But, I need to get cracking! I got a couple of great ideas from a friend today to make some other items...and now I just need to get to making them to see if anyone would even be interested.

I'm. freaking. out.

So, what do you do to make sure you can pay for your adoption, if you are adopting? As I've said before, adoption ain't cheep kiddos.

I realize I've posted a couple of times today... odd for me lately, but I just felt like sharing.

...deep breaths....

2 comments:

  1. There is an old Hebrew saying that with every baby comes a basket of bread. Or something like that. :)

    I saw my blog on your blog roll....it's actually change is good. right? not Ingraham, although I guess it doesn't matter. Ingraham is my last name.

    Are you a November LID too? I'm 11/22.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For our second adoption, we refinanced our home and pulled some equity out of it. Also, I worked extra shifts--staying behind when the rest of the family went on my husband's working 'vacation'--to that I could work. (That is where it has to be SO MUCH HARDER for the singles out there adopting...flexibility in earning finances just one of the areas that has to be so much harder when you are alone.)

    Seriously, though, if you own your own home, refinancing might just be a good option for you.

    We learned the hard way NOT to count on promised adopton tax credits. Our state, in theory only it turns out(!), offers a generous adoption tax credit...trick is they always run out of money in the state budget so the adoption tax credits are denied! Some folks who borrowed, counting on the tax credit to pay back their loans were really left in a pinch in our state beginning four years ago when the promised tax credits began getting denied at the last minute.

    Wishing you luck,
    ~Monica

    ReplyDelete