Saturday, September 30, 2006

...and the consensus is....

Mia ElainaMae

Mia - from what I can tell, means "Mine" and I love that sentiment. Plus, it is short for Maria, my grandmother always said she wished her name was Maria instead of Marie. :) I also found that is is a form of "Michaela" (which I also like) with an Israeli name meaning - "Who is like God". WOW. (and Michael, my brother's first name, means the same thing, which is way cool.)

Elaine - is my sister's middle name and I like it...and I changed it to Elaina - it also means "Light", "Bright One" or "Torchlight". It is a form of Helen and Helen became popular because of the fame of "Helena", the subject of many legends and mother of Emporer Constantine. It was said she discovered the true cross of Jesus and was the daughter of the British king known in the nursery rhymes as "Old King Cole". (Coleman happens to be my other grandmother's middle name, all very similar.)

Mae or Mei - Means "Beautiful" in Chinese, and is not only our great-aunt's middle name, but it is a common Chinese name, as well. (ok, so the jury's still out on Mae vs. Mei, but I'm leaning toward Mae because it is a family name.) Mae(May) also means "Great" in Latin and "Discerning" in Arabic. A "time-of-birth" name! Love, love, love it.

So, there you have it. I "think" I have decided! :) Woohoo! It might change again, but for now, I'm liking the overall meaning and the many ways she can use her name. And the more I look at the meaning(s), the more I love it.

Sis said that she knows that I am feeling the way about baby girl as I would if I was 'bearing' her and that I need to feel confident in my 'mommy' decisions, such as her name. She even used the word 'having her', even though it isn't in the physical sense. I love that. 'Cause it is just how I feel. Plus, she really liked the name, too. :) Bonus.

I'm already thinking about the next round of referrals... as I'm sure most of the rest of the Chinese adopting families are.

I pray every day for "My Beautiful Light"...my little angel, she has surely been born in my heart. And my heart grows bigger each day in anticipation of how we will grow in each other's lives. (oh my goodness, i'm a sap tonight! lol)

Peace.

3 comments:

  1. Great choice I love it!
    *HUGABUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you both! :D I've been struggling with a name for months now, and my sis and I just sat down and walked through what I was thinking and it all came together. Plus, thanks go to Gergiskhan, my dear friend, for his suggestions, too! :)

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete