Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Unethical adoptions

If you know me or read my blog you know I've been looking into adopting again. Well, I just came upon a very disturbing story.

Here's the story

What is disturbing about this video (the video is at the top of the article) is the fact that some of these children are not truly orphans, but clearly have parents. That the parents seem to get duped into thinking that their child is going to America, but what isn't clear is if they actually realize they are giving their child up ... permanently. The whole thing makes my stomach turn.

Now, don't get me wrong. Personally, I think this is a glimpse into the situation. Do I think the way the media has portrayed the situation her is 100% accurate, well, there's no way for me to know. So, probably not. We get duped by them all the time. Do I think it is possible or that it does happen? Yes. So, I don't believe this is an all or nothing situation on any side. But regardless, if it is happening how they show it, then that is just shameful.

Clearly, I believe adoption is a viable family building option. But I guess I didn't want to believe this type of 'harvesting' of children actually happened. And in this type of situation, everyone gets hurt. Everyone. Why, when trying to take care of the people who need it most... our children... do some use this as a way to take advantage. There are millions (so it's reported) of orphans out there. Why, then, defile the system? GREED, pure and simple. And I hope those people get what they deserve.

I pray for all the families involved.

Peace.

1 comment:

  1. There's been a couple of big child trafficking stories here in Europe the last few years too. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

    BTW if you email me on hannahjs.house@gmail.com, I can email you the invite to read the blog if you want.

    ReplyDelete