Friday, May 8, 2009

Normal... well, or not

I'm crabby today. I have been since last night. Actually, I just want to know why I can't be "normal" like everyone else. I mean, why on earth did I have to have this desire to adopt. Or do I still? 'Cause I do. I love my family. I love Lil M.

I just want to know why is it that for things like Mother's Day, us adoptive families have to get no recognition as being "Moms" and real families? There's a Huggies commercial out right now that pisses me off. They say that you can get diapers for a year (if you win the prize) if you... get pregnant, let people touch your stomach while pregnant, and pop out a baby... THAT is what makes you a MOM. Um. No, it doesn't.

Don't get me wrong, procreating is necessary and I'm glad that my daughter's first Mom did have her. I am so thankful for that. But did these idiots think that there might be MOMs out there that didn't pop out the baby????? O M G.

We get a bum rap, us adoptive moms. We are made to feel less like parents by MOST OF SOCIETY... including, some of the adoptive children even. I am very thankful, again, that my daughter's first family took the risk they did. Please do not think I'm trying to minimize birth mother's feelings, or traditional two-parent pregnant families... or even single moms who have a baby physically instead of adopting...

My friends and family are amazing and they do try to remind me that I am, in fact, normal... and that Lil M and I are great... 'cause we really are. But some people are insensitive...and have no idea why on earth I'd be upset over a commercial like the one i mentioned here.

Maybe it is because I have always felt somehow inferior. I don't know why. I do know it's what society bombards me with. I'm second best. Why couldn't I just be "normal" and get pregnant... get married... have a baby of my own.

I hate, hate, hate that question. Are you going to have a baby of your own now? WHAT?????????????? Mia IS A BABY OF MY OWN. I didn't feel like I had to have a baby in my womb to be her Mom. I don't know why I didn't and still don't feel that way!!!!!!!! WHY CAN'T I BE NORMAL?

Well, once I calm down after my rant... I do know that this is, indeed, VERY NORMAL for me. I don't know why. All I can think is that God has a different plan for my life for some reason. And I must follow that and that alone.

If you wouldn't mind lifting up a prayer for me this weekend, and for all the other *non-traditional* Mom's out there... I'd really be grateful. We love our children just as much as anyone else, and I guess I just needed to say that.

I'm lifting up prayers for ALL moms this weekend, birth moms, bio moms, adoptive moms, moms who've lost children for whatever reason... ALL MOMS. God bless you all.

Peace.

2 comments:

  1. From one very non-traditional mom to another, YOU ARE NORMAL. You are an amazing mom to a beautiful little girl. Do not let anyone make you feel that way. I only wish they could experience the joy we feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Mother's Day from one normal single mom, to another ;)

    ReplyDelete