Thursday, February 16, 2006

Work, work, work

So, if someone asked me my work schedule, I'd say 9am-6pm, give or take. Before a month ago, it was pretty flexible. One day 8am, the next 9am, the next 7am. You get the idea. Then the boss said he wanted us to make a 'schedule' of what our hours are. So, I said 9am-6pm.

Fast forward to this week (this is just one example). On Tuesday, this same boss comes in and says I need to be at a meeting at 8:30 the next day. Then last night he calls me at 10:30pm (yes, that late) and lets me know we have a meeting at 8:00am today (and tomorrow). The problem, you ask? Well, my hours are from 9-6, right? Or are they? So, my question is - are my hours 9-6 only when it is convenient for other people?

At a previous company, we had 'core' hours... meetings should be done between 9am and 4pm, so that those who came in late wouldn't have to come in early, and those who come in early wouldn't have to stay late. What a concept! Not happening here....

Now, I realize that if you have a flexible schedule, you should be flexible. I am OK with that. I don't mind being flexible if it goes both ways. My gripe here is that someone said I had to make a schedule for myself and keep to it every day, and 9-6pm was a viable option... so, if that is the case, then why should I have to be in earlier than that for meetings? Oh, and my next project... I have to be in at 8:30am EVERY DAY for a meeting (2 months or longer)! Ugh. So, that schedule I agreed to, isn't being honored at all.

My other question is... how am I going to have this with a little one around? I don't have a spouse or significant other to help with these schedule changes... Ok, so some may say... why not just go in at 7am every day and be on the safe side... well, my retort is I'M NOT A MORNING PERSON! lol. (perhaps i will have to be once the baby comes, anyway, but that is just not how i am now...)

Does anyone else have these kinds of questions?

No comments:

Post a Comment