Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Poverty and Scripture

Your challenge is to pick one verse or passage that has touched you and changed your thoughts on poverty and how the Lord might see it and respond and blog about it!

Well, one of my favorite verses is Romans 12:12
"Rejoice in hope, be patient in suffering, persevere in prayer."

I don't feel like I have a very good answer for this topic. But here goes. I would imagine that everyone thinks that poverty sucks. And since I'm not God... and I can't affect all people, I do pray for the suffering and for
those who live in poverty.

I am thankful for what I *do* have, and I try to give as much as I can. I feel like that's what I can do, because I believe in the power of prayer, and in my relationship with God, which gives me hope and patience (a relative term, of course) during my own suffering and for the suffering of others. Does it change things? I'm not sure, because there always seems to be poverty on some level. But I hope when I get to Heaven I will see that it did!

I wish I had a better answer. I think that helping those in need starts at home (in our own families, churches, communities), but that we need to think globally, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment