Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Cultural awareness

Harlow's Monkey posted this tidbit about Madonna and her Son's culture

A Reuters article reports that Madonna wants to adopt another child from Malawi. My favorite quote from this article:

Madonna said she wanted to keep him connected to his homeland.

"It is a big priority for me to educate my son about the world, but always to stay connected to his Malawian culture," she said.

"He has a big map of Africa in his room with lots of arrows pointing to Malawi."

...Ok, seriously, I hope this statement was taken out of context, because otherwise... yikes.

At the same time, I am personally finding it hard to know how and when to teach Lil M as much as I can... but I'm not Chinese, so that in and of itself is a hindrance. I have already gotten her quite a few books written in Chinese, as well as teaching materials to hopefully get her acquainted with the Chinese lettering, when she's old enough (read: next year or two). And I hope I can find some viable historical material for her to learn about her birth-country. There are other ways and things, too, but it's going to be a process.

Peace.

1 comment:

  1. When it comes to Madonna, I think anything taken out of context is no less sensational (or absurd) than most things she says or does that one might consider “normal.” I also have my deep reservations about Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt, another adoptive couple. You'll know how to handle emplaning Mia her heritage when the time comes to do so. Don't worry about something like that since it will fall into place naturally.

    As far as St. Patty's Day goes, I always get the color schemes confused. Do we celebrate today with green beer or yellow snow? I always forget. In my hometown of Bong County Liberia, we celebrate the Day of the Phlegm.

    ReplyDelete