Monday, August 6, 2007

Be Friendly, but not Too Friendly

An interesting comment made by my boss... I need to be 'friendly' but not 'too friendly'. Aha. That's what I've been missing. I'm deemed 'too friendly'. Alrighty then.

Case in point, today we (a small group of my teammates and I) were discussing who is going to be the "Chair" person of tomorrow's full group meeting. I was nominated (weeks ago, apparently). Another was nominated to document minutes... we had friendly banter about who should be chairing the meeting, and trying to get myself out of the role tomorrow (in jest). Our boss went over to ask one of the people in the discussion what the 'issue' was. Basically... why were we all talking?! Oh my. I get us in trouble all the time, and really, it was no big deal.

After these discussions, with said boss, I tend to be 'quiet' and then everyone wants to know what's wrong?!!! Ok, people. Pick. One or the other... I don't seem to know how to be 'in the middle' here.

If I bring pics in, I get the lecture. If I don't bring pics in, I get questioned. Same with inviting people over or going to lunch... you get the idea.

It didn't used to be this way. I guess I just need to keep more to myself. Perhaps, I've gotten too comfortable with my teammates and I should maintain a bigger distance. It's just that when you spend, oh 8-10 or more hours a day with the same folks day in and out you tend to start to care.

Ok, I'll leave it at that. I'm in a thoughtful mood. Pensive.

Little M is listening to her classical music and rocking away, saying MAMAMAMA. :)

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment